The 88th running of The Radnor Hunt Races to benefit The Brandywine Conservancy is May 19th, 2018. The countdown is on and the planning is in full swing. On March 22nd The Young Friends Committee of the Radnor Races hosted a pre-race event: ‘Grooming your Tailgate’ at the Radnor Hunt. A panel of experts shared their tips for setting up the perfect tailgate, including our friend Aaron of 13th Street Cocktail Catering.
Here are Aaron’s tailgate tips:
– Plan 2 lbs of ice per person for drinking and then bring extra ice to keep beverages cold.
– A sturdy folding camping table is always helpful.
– Avoid glass anything
– 3.5 gallon beverage dispensers work well vs. punch bowls or any open vessel. They’re also great for preventing bees.
– For cocktails, vodka is always a safe choice because it is a neutral spirit.
– Prepare cocktails with no more than 1.5 oz of 80 proof spirit per 6 oz serving.
– Pick cocktails that are best served poured directly over ice with little or no prep needed.
– Avoid soaking herbs in cocktail mixes for prolonged periods of time. They wilt, turn brown, get bitter and clog the pour spout of the dispenser.
Try this for a refreshing spring cocktail:
1.5 oz Vodka
.5 oz of Jalapeno Strawberry Syrup
.5 oz fresh lemon
2.5 oz seltzer water
Garnish with a mint sprig
Make simple syrup with 1:1 sugar to water ratio. Simmer 1 quart of syrup with the flesh (no seeds!), of 2 jalapeño peppers. Strain out peppers and puree in blender with 10 hulled strawberries.
Tip from Kathy Warden, creative director and owner of TableArt and KPW Productions:
For an easy, crowd-pleasing cocktail display, set up a Bloody Mary Bar complete with skewered celery, carrots, radishes, pickled vegetables, crispy bacon strips, shrimp cocktail, and, of course, limes Worcestershire sauce, Old Bay, tabasco and some tasty rim salts. Be creative!
Posted Under: Equestrian Lifestyle